Cinque Terre

  


Five Towns, One Coast.
 So I had booked a trip with Bus 2 Alps a few months prior to visit the coastal towns of Cinque Terre, and was really excited. I was so excited that I couldn't sleep and woke up at 9:15am. The bus left at 9:30pm. I basically made a mad dash, grabbing my stuff and bolting out the door, running as fast as my feet would carry me to the train station. I arrived at 9:32, but my group was not to be found. Needless to say. I was freaking out a bit, and insure what to do, I pulled out my itenerary for some clue as what to do. It was then I figured out that I had the wrong time, and the bus didn't leave at 9:30... It had already left at 9:00!!! I was shocked. I stood for a minute trying to figure out what to do, and then made the decision to not let it ruin my day. So, I waled right over to the kiosk next to me and purchased a €10 train ticket to Cinque Terre, and was on the next train out five minutes later! Yep, just call me Mr. Proactive. I arrived at the entrance to the park one hours later, and had to pay an entrance fee to the park. Luckily, because I had my student ID it was relatively cheap. I then boarded a local train that would take me on the last leg of the journey to the coast! 

   

  When I arrived to the first town, Riomaggiore, I was greeted by a torrential downpour. Yep. This was my day. But I wasn't ready to give up, and it being only 11:00, I ran into the nearest bar, ordered a coffee, and sat down to read the newspaper. I actually still have a clipping of that newspaper, because I liked an article about an Italian couple and their pet tiger.  After a bit, I noticed a girl next to me drawing. She seemed to be doing the same thing as me, waiting on the weather, so I decided to strike up a conversation, in Italian of course because that's what I assumed she was. Turns out, she was actually a student from the group that I was supposed to come with! Apparently they arrived twenty minutes before me! So we got to talking about random things, fawned over a drenched cat that decided that it would stake a claim on the bar, and just talk about our Italian lives in general! Eventually we finally got a bit of luck and the sun came out! Sadly, all of the walking paths in between the towns were impassable due to the rain, so we oped to hop on and off the train at various towns along the coast, each one with their own atmosphere and assortment of little shops. My favorite was probably Vernazza. Thanks to my new friend, I was able to meet up with the rest of my group in the end, and take the bus back to Florence.  

Travelers List What to pack? Good shoes!
Money? They use the Euro, take enough for train fair, park entrance fee, and handmade jewelry.
What to take on a day out? Good walking shoes and a camera, possibly a swimsuit if warm enough.
Danger? You probably won't be able to climb the walking paths if it rains.
When to Go? Summer! Early May onwards, and ABSOLUTELY make sure to check the weather!
Must See? The whole thing is pretty picturesque.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Contact Me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Social Media

Follow Me by Email